Meet Your Physician
Philip Wessinger, MD
Meet Your Athletic Trainer
Kurt Wagner, ATC
1. Where are you from?I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio.
2. Where did you go to school and what is your educational background? I graduated from Ohio University in 2002 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Athletic Training and a Minor in Business Administration.
3. What were you doing before you began working as a Steadman Hawkins Athletic Trainer? I served as an intern with the Toronto Blue Jays minor league organization in 2003. From 2004 – 2005 I was an assistant athletic trainer at Pfeiffer University. I have been the head athletic trainer at Hillcrest High School since 2005.
4. Why did you become a Steadman Hawkins Athletic Trainer? I came to Greenville to get away from the nasty winters in Cleveland, but I enjoy being a Steadman Hawkins Athletic Trainer because each day presents itself with a new set of challenges.
5. What is your favorite sport and why? I do not have a favorite sport to cover, but I do like the fact that I have the opportunity to cover multiple sports during the school year. When one season is concluding I am always looking forward to a new set of sports. Outside of work my favorite sports are golf and curling because I when I am playing I am not thinking about anything other that the game that I am involved in.
6. Finish the sentence… When I am not working I really enjoy…. When I am not working I really enjoy golfing, curling, and spending time with friends and family.
7. What is something most people do not know about you? I attended the 2003 PGA Championship at Oak Hill in Rochester, NY and the 2005 U.S. Open at Pinehurst #2 in Pinehurst, NC. I am still hoping that some day someone will be able to provide me with tickets to the Masters.
Hillcrest High School
3665 S. Industrial Drive
Simpsonville, SC 29681
Phone: (864) 355-3500
FAX: (864) 355-3382